. @SWLSTG Debating #MentalHealth training programme for children and young people #ADHD
. @SWLSTG Debating #MentalHealth training programme for children and young people
- A totally free 12-week programme that will give you the skills and confidence you need to be an excellent debater and public speaker (even if you don’t think that sounds like something you can do).
- It ends with a great cross London competition (with great prizes up for grabs) in an exciting venue.
- This will depend on where most people who sign up live. We will find a venue and a time (after school hours) that suits as many people as possible.
Why Should I do it?
Watch this video and find out why I think you should: https://youtu.be/DSpm-qMIWZ8
- It’s really good fun-all of the sessions are about playing games and fun, interactive activities.
- It’s great for your confidence, whether you want to be able to speak to two people or 200, this course will help you.
- It will help you build your resilience, so that you can bounce back more easily when things get tough.
- You’ll meet people from all over London and make great friends.
- You’ll have a real opportunity to make your voice heard by the people who make decisions in mental health.
- You’ll learn to talk in a way that makes other people WANT to listen.
- It’s great for developing skills that look fantastic on your CV and will help you with job interviews, getting involved in discussions in class and preparing for uni.
- Because young people like you can do amazing things and can tell the world that mental health matters :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHjLaoRO3Pw
What if I have no experience?
- Then this programme is DEFINITELY for you: it’s all about giving young people just like you the skills and experience they need.
- This programme will help you overcome your anxieties about speaking in public and may even help you overcome other anxieties too!
I already debate at school
- Great! Sign up and come and improve your game!
- Take the opportunity to get really involved in debates about mental health: services, stigma, education and let your passion shine through.
I’m interested, but I’m still nervous.
- That’s ok and totally normal. Most people feel nervous about trying new things, meeting new people and speaking in public, but we guarantee you’ll have loads of fun.
- Why not come along and see what it’s like? If it’s not for you, let us know and you can stop taking part.
You’ve got until 15th September to let Laura know. So get in touch if you have any questions!
Laura Tyrrell, CAMHS Participation Officer, South West London and St George’s Mental Health NHS Trust Mobile Number: 07779440836 Laura.Tyrrell2@swlstg-tr.nhs.uk
Read more about debating-for-young-people