There are many benefits  and various funding streams available for ADHD children & young people as well as the family members who provide care for them:

Aiming High (Kingston and Richmond) Short Breakfunding for a family up to £140 p.a. available as a bank payment (apply just once a year) for after school clubs, holiday activities, sports,  an annual pass and inclusion in mainstream settings programmes. You MUST supply receipts

Aiming High Additional Funding provides additional funding to enable a mainstream activity provider to give your child / young person extra support by increasing the staff ratio. The young person must by under 18 years old

Carer’s Allowance (CA) is paid to a carer who looks after an ADHD child more than 35 hours a week and earns under a certain threshold. Conditions are: they must receive DLA at the middle or highest care rate if they are under 16 years old, and for those aged 16 to 64, they have to be in receipt of the daily living component of Personal Independence Payment. You will not be able to receive Carer’s Allowance if you are claiming the State Pension or certain other benefits. Visit: You can download a claim form or to complete your application online @ For further information, contact: Carer’s Allowance Unit. Mail Handling Site A, Wolverhampton. WV98 2AB Tel: 0345 608 4321  Email: (Monday to Thursday, 8.30am to 5.00pm; Friday 8.30am to 4.30pm)

Cerebra’s funding guide for Parents covers all the possible areas of financial help for your ADHD child: Cerebra – money matters Email:

Cinema Exhibition Card (CEA)This is a cinema discount card for carers. Any responsible one adult who goes to the cinema with the child who has a disability gets in free. To be eligible the child or young person must be in receipt of DLA.  Application forms can be picked up from cinemas. Prove of DLA must be sent together with processing fee of £6 and passport photo of child. Please note children must be 8 years or over to be eligible

Disability Facilities Grant is available up to £30,000 in England for your ADHD/SEN under 18 year old child without parents’ income being taken into account

Disability Grants is a useful website to search for all available grants

Disability Living Allowance (DLA) helps with the cost of caring for an eligible ADHD child, under 16 years of age, needing extra looking after and having had these difficulties for at least three months. Just describe your child at his/her worst. Do not understate the problems and be particularly be clear about night-time issues e.g. incontinence, difficulty going to sleep, waking up all the time, tantrums, fits, lack of sleep, etc. (the higher benefit care rate for DLA is only paid for those with night time problems). It will aid you to obtain a Disability Register Identity Card for your application. Visit or order a printed claim pack by calling the DLA Helpline: Tel: 0845 712 3456 Textphone: 0845 722 4433 (Monday to Friday, 8.00am to 6.00pm) Visit to find out more about DLA.

Disability Register Identity Card (for children and young people) This is invaluable for ADHD children. The Integrated Service Disabilities Team has introduced the card to help parents and carers prove that their child is registered with their local authority as disabled. It can then be used to gain concessions on entrance fees to places where disability concessions apply. Call 020 8831 6093 Visit

Disabled Person’s Railcard – is valid for one or three years and entitles the holder to discounts of up to one third off the price of a range of tickets; the same discount also covers tickets purchased by the accompanying adult. Children aged 5 to 16 may also be eligible to hold a Disabled Person’s Railcard; in such cases, they should be charged a child’s fare; the accompanying parent/carer travelling at the discounted rate mentioned above. To qualify for a Disabled Person’s Railcard, the person concerned has to receive DLA/PIP at the higher rate for getting around OR receive DLA/PIP at the higher or middle rate for personal care. Contact Disabled Persons Railcard Office. PO Box 6613, Arbroath, DD11 9AN Tel: 0345 605 0525 (Monday – Sunday, 7.00am to 10.00pm) Textphone: 0345 601 0132 Email:

Disabled  Students Allowance: For going into further education

Equality & Human Rights Commission funding and legal assistance for cases concerning discrimination in education. Please read this EHRC education discrimination ATJ project – cover letter and these EHRC education discrimination ATJ project – FAQs

Family Fund: helps families who are raising a disabled (ADHD) or seriously ill child or young person aged 17 or under. The child must present very severe conditions and not just ADHD. Visit their website https://www.familyfu

Free Early Education: The UK Government offers free early education for ALL 3/4 yr olds + for 2 yr olds with special education needs (SEN) or an education health and care plan or if they get Disability Living Allowance or with income support

Freedom Pass – Disabled Persons Freedom Passes may be available to some ADHD children, over the age of 5,  who meet the Higher Rate Care and Mobility eligibility criteria. The Freedom Pass entitles the holder to free travel on all London transport buses, London Underground, Docklands Light Railway, Croydon Tramlink and train services in the London area (not the Heathrow Express), plus concessionary fares on some of the Thames riverboats. Freedom Passes are also accepted by English local bus companies outside London (9.30am to11.00pm Monday to Friday, all day weekends and public holidays). Application forms are available from the Supported Travel Team. Email:  Telephone: 020 8831 6312 Visit the Council website:

Government benefits visit:

Happy Days You can apply for days out or a UK family holiday break. Your child must be between 3 and 17 years old

Independence at Home may be able to help you ADHD families who need financial help towards the cost of equipment, home adaptations or other essential items to improve independence, comfort, safety and quality of life at home.

Merlin’s Magic Wand  – worldwide charity for children  arranging magical days out at Merlin Entertainments attractions, such as LEGOLAND Resorts®, SEA LIFE Centres and Madame Tussauds

Merlin Pass and annual passes for other attractions such as Chessington World of Adventures, Legoland, Alton Towers, Thorpe Park, the London Eye, London Dungeons, Madame Tussauds, and Sea Life Centres can be applied for via the Short Breaks & Aiming High application form. The funding is only available to the eligible child.


Personal Independence Payment (PIP) is replacing DLA for people aged between 16 and 64 years of age (there are no current plans to replace DLA for children aged under 16). Those already receiving DLA will not be automatically transferred to PIP, but will have to make a claim for the new benefit when invited to do so. To qualify, individuals will have to score a certain number of points relating to twelve activities i.e. preparing food, taking nutrition, managing therapies or monitoring a health condition, washing and bathing, managing toilet needs or incontinence, dressing and undressing, communicating verbally, reading and understanding signs, symbols and words, engaging with people face-to-face, making budgeting decisions, planning and following journeys (used in the mobility component test). Visit

If you are claiming for the first time, ask to be sent a ‘How your condition affects you’ form. Contact: Personal Independence Payment New Claims, Post Handling Site B, Wolverhampton. WV99 1AH Tel: 0800 917 2222 Textphone: 0800 917 7777 (Monday to Friday, 8.00am to 6.00pm) Visit: For general information Tel: 0845 850 3322 Textphone: 0845 601 6677 (Monday to Friday, 8.00am to 6.00pm)

Richmond AID the Disability Action and Advice Centre 4 Waldegrave Road, Teddington, TW11 8HT Tel: 020 8831 6080 Their advisors will assist with form filling and benefits reviews, providing information, supplying details of how to challenge a decision as well as lending a sympathetic and listening ear. Advice line: 020 8831 6070 Email:

Richmond Card is a card for Richmond borough residents (children and adults). You can get discounts for various activities at leisure centres. The cost for children and young people is free, however, for adults it is £18.50. If you register with the Richmond Carers Centre, you can get a discount as a carer and pay just £6.90.