EHCP & Statements

The Statement of Special Educational Needs is gradually being replaced by the new Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP).  No new statements have been issued since 1st September 2014.  Children who currently have a statement will be transferred on to the EHCP no later than September 2018.  The time frame for change-over is 20 weeks. This means the LA must give two weeks notice of the transfer assessment starting and then 18 weeks for the transition to take place.

Be advised that there is no guarantee the LA would use an independent EP report for transfer or EHCP purposes


Click to enlarge this transfer timing plan


The EHCP states what additional needs are required to support a child within an educational setting to help them with the learning process.  It also indicates support required for their health and social care needs, if applicable.   This is a legal binding document.

Education, Health & Care Plans – Guidance

If you are about to apply for, or embark upon transferring your child’s statement to an EHC Plan, this document is intended to support you (the family), the school and anyone involved in the process:  Guidance


Kids 2

“What’s the right school for my child?” KIDS Richmond and Kingston Sendiass video of parents and professionals and the process that is involved when naming a school in an Education Health and Care Plan.




The EHCP Journeys website is also a useful guide


If your child is not progressing through Special Educational Needs Support (formally School Action or School Action Plus) it may be worth starting the assessment process to access additional support. Speak to your child’s teacher or Special Educational Needs Co-ordinator (SENCO).  All mainstream schools have one. They can look at having your child assessed. Alternatively you request this directly by contacting: SEN Department, 44 York Street, Twickenham, TW1 3BZ


achieving for children

Achieving for Children has links on how to apply for an EHCP + the Personal Budget form



Find out more about Personal Budgets


Whether your child has a Statement of SEN, is approaching their annual review or perhaps you are about to apply for an Education, Health & Care Plan…  here are the places, locally,  to go for help, advice and support.


Click this logo for details about the Independent Support Partnership (ISP) in Richmond & Kingston. They provide a friendly and flexible service over telephone, e-mail, or can arrange to meet you at a place that suits you. ISP is the first point of contact for new EHCPs or conversions from Statements of SEN.

Name Independent Support Partnership (ISP)
Telephone 020 8831 6076

KidsThe Parent Partnership Service (now called SEND Information & Advice Service) is delivered by KIDS across Richmond and Kingston. They provide advice, guidance and support for SEN families. They can help you with existing Statements of SEN as well as transfers and new EHC Plans. Opening hours are 10am to 5pm – 51 weeks of the year. Email:   or  telephone: 020 8547 6200 or 020 8831 6179

ruilsRUILS offer an ECHP serice. Contact 020 8831 6179 or email



IPSEA  –  Independent Parental Special Education Advice offers some really useful info.


You can also post questions to:


Send Family Voices

SEND  FamilyVoice  has a new Guide to SEN EHCP HEALTH + MORE

Also read their Golden Booklet on EHCP


Having a diagnosis does not in itself mean that a child must have an EHCP. The levels are:

1) quality first teaching (differentiation and reasonable adjustments) things that the school can do within its normal budget that will enable the child to make appropriate levels of progress across the 4 areas of needs (cognition and learning / communication and interaction / social, emotional & mental health / sensory and physical)
2) SEN Support – where a child has needs that go beyond things that the class or subject teachers can provide and where a SENCo and additional resource is needed to provide additional support up to a notional budget of £6000.00. At this level the children MUST have some sort of written SEN support plan which is monitored and reviewed every term (as per the code of practice). This could look like an IEP – but would not necessarily be the same thing.
3) EHCP – where the child has needs that the school cannot meet within the £6000.00 notional delegated amount for SEN support and therefore needs top up funds from the LA to enable the child to progress. This MUST be reviewed at least once per year at the annual review meeting.

None of these requires the child to have an IEP. In case 2 & 3 the child should have a written plan which contains a summary of needs, outcomes the child is working towards and provision that the school or other professionals are making. The school MAY use an IEP or similar document to monitor progress towards short term goals – but there is nothing in the legislation that requires them to do so.

So the short answer is that there is no definitive link between diagnosis and the level of support (i.e. quality first teaching / SEN support or EHCP) – it depends on the assessed needs of the child in making appropriate levels of progress for that child (which is different to a diagnosis). Similarly there is no rule that says that a child must have an IEP in any of these levels – the school may choose to use one to track short term progress for a child with SEN support or EHCP – but it is not necessary.

%d bloggers like this: